The First State Bank has been the “CORNERSTONE” of Kiowa since 1935.
The First State Bank, Kiowa, Kansas was originally chartered in 1935. The first Board of Directors was: C.E. Harmon, C.H. McBrayer, G.W. Lindley, J.H. Stairs and Floyd Clark. In 1938, L.W. Stevens and Clarke C. McIlree purchased stock in the bank.
In 1949, the Board of Directors was L.W. Stevens, Clarke C. McIlree, F.E. Stevens, Floyd Clark, Ethyl Harmon and Dorothy McIlree. L.D. “DeWitt” Stevens, son of L.W. and F.E. Stevens, joined the bank in 1950. In 1976, Charles L. McIlree, son of Clarke and Dorothy McIlree, was employed by the bank. DeWitt Stevens and Charles McIlree were later elected to the positions of President/CEO and Chairman of the Board.
In 2013, The First State Bank was purchased by Grace Investment Holding Company. Grace Investment Company also owns Alva State Bank & Trust Company in Alva, Oklahoma and First National Bank in Okeene. With this change a new Board of Directors was appointed, including Peggy Wisdom, Walter Fry, Barbara Stevens, Ken Schultz, and Kelly Stewart.
The First State Bank of Kiowa will continue to support this great community offering excellent customer service, sound advice, and loyal support.